Monday, June 02, 2008

To Be or Not To Be

An ever-increasing population proportionately focuses on the fundamental question of the meaning of human existence. For millennia the satisfactory answer has been propagation of the species, but with our numbers racing toward the tipping point such rationale fails. It is probably just a morbid fascination, but I find myself asking what the purpose and meaning of my own life is more frequently. It is certainly humbling to realize that I am truly expendable to all but a very few whose regard for me is based more on emotion than practicality. Processing me through the spreadsheet of life reveals decreasing assets and increasing liabilities. I’d like to reverse that situation but I have no idea how to go about it. It’s my guess that the “duty to die” school of thought may become more popular as the planet is inhabited by an aging surplus that will have a difficult time justifying its perpetuation to youngsters faced with blatant survival. A Soylent Green scenario may not be that far-fetched in the not-too-distant future, a future which continues to puzzle my understanding of my role in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment