Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ask…

…and you will receive. The minor tragedy of which I wrote yesterday prompted an outpouring of generosity. Mary is letting me use hers until I get another of my own. Rachel doesn’t use hers and is negotiating a swap for the wireless camera card she and Steve gave me for Christmas that doesn’t fit our Fuji while telling me that the new ipod shuffles are getting horrible reviews. How’s that for inciting a response?

Beyond my selfish need being met, I see a far more meaningful context behind all this. It is love at work. People who love one another help each other whether it’s paying it forward or backwards. The text from Matthew 21.22 from which I borrowed my opening line actually says, “Whatever you ask for in prayer with faith, you will receive.” If I had to summarize the gospel in six words, they would be that hope comes from faith in love. Love doesn’t have to save the whole world at once. Like a tiny mustard seed, it grows and grows from one loving another at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment