Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day!

Forty years ago I was head over heels in love with one Mary Jean James. I’ve told you how we met on a blind date on Valentine’s Day, 1970. From the first moment on I was looking for any reason to be with her and providence came to my assistance. The first official Earth Day in history was the occasion. Our mutual Methodist background in stewardship provided a shared recognition of this most sacred of reasons to pick up litter from the Wesleyan campus as an opportunity to be together. Well, friend, we’ve been recycling ever since. And even at the risk of bragging I have to tell you that we’re leaving the Earth better than we found it by our two beautiful daughters. Love is what got me interested in Earth Day in the first place, and it’s held my attention ever since. As Rebecca’s bumper sticker reads: Love Your Mother (Earth).

No comments:

Post a Comment