Monday, May 03, 2010

Failed Yet Again

I’ve just perused the current edition and, once again, I am not included in the TIME 100. Because the annual theme is intended to highlight the most influential people in the world, I must assume that it is important to aspire to be on it. Alas, I have done little or nothing that would place me in that category. With a world population of 6,823,977,789, 100 people is the very definition of elite. I’ve tried all year to be a good son, good husband, good father, good employee, etc, but apparently my attempts have not been good enough. It would interesting to see how the scriptural text might read were it contemporaneously composed, but not knowing about the 100 most influential left poor Jesus with nothing to commend but the least of these. In truth, I suspect that had the Nazarene access to such a list he would still have been an advocate for the ordinariness of the common people. Therefore, I shall avail myself of what Karl Marx decried as the opiate of the masses and let myself believe the gospel even if I didn’t make the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment