Monday, May 17, 2010

Taking Myself Down a Notch or Two

Here’s a happy little factoid I ran across in this week’s issue of TIME: 41% of women who gave birth in 2008 were not married, the highest number ever recorded. To those of us who do what I do, this is no surprise. If you weren’t already aware, unmarried females are capable of getting pregnant and giving birth. Male sperm is still required, but you can apparently get that just about anywhere. I’ve been concerned with our values for a long time now, but the extremists have been getting quite of bit of press lately for their campaign to restore America’s values. By this, they apparently mean the “right” to bear arms (concealed or not) anywhere they wish, the “rights” of unborn fetuses, and the “right” to dissemble the very government that gives them their rights. I’ll admit that I feel superior to these, what Keith Olbermann calls idiots, but that unfortunately puts all of us who feel that way on the same page. So, here’s my challenge: get over my damnably smug sense of superiority so that I can open my eyes to what we all have in common, what equalizes us, if you will. I know their side isn’t ever going to lose a moment’s thought on such a proposition, but that isn’t going to excuse me from trying. Damn, it’s hard to be humble when you’re as great as I am (from a t-shirt I bought in high school).

No comments:

Post a Comment