Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Administrative Professionals Day circa 2007

How ironic is it that on this Administrative Professionals Day my own unit administrator denied my request for a box of Papermate Eraser Mate® Ballpoint Pens? This is the world I live in for forty hours a week, and this is the mentality that I am obliged to appease if I just want to be left alone to do my job. I hadn’t really set out to bankrupt Clark County with this outrageous $0.53/pen request (they may actually be found cheaper if I want to research it on the company clock @ $20/hour) but my “boss” thoughtfully suggested that I could purchase my own. This poses a dilemma. I don’t see the cost as unreasonable for my employer if it improves the quality of my work (no unsightly whiteout or scratches covering my mistakes), but it does seem unreasonable if it has to come out of my own pocket. In the final analysis, the citizens of Clark County can rest easier in the knowledge that their tax dollars (in truth, my division is funded by a federal grant) are being zealously guarded by frugal managers who cut short the extravagant waste of spendthrift employees like yours truly. All hail Administrative Professionals!

No comments:

Post a Comment