Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Reprogramming My Default

I’m addressing my remarks today to that great IT desk in the sky. As I have embarked upon my quest to accentuate the positive I’ve discovered a disquieting fact about myself: I default to the negative. This is an embarrassing admission to make, but I do so anyway in the hope that the reader may either identify with my dilemma, or, better yet, teach me how to reset my default to the positive. Perhaps an example will serve to better explain what I am saying. As I walked from the parking garage to the building in which I work (alas, I can no longer truthfully say that I have an office) I observed this monstrosity of a female assuming the most unflattering of poses right outside the entrance. Cigarette perched smack dab in the middle of her jowly jaws, she appeared to be opening mail. After my initial revulsion (the default) I had to intentionally remind myself of my newly made promise to see God in every face I meet. This isn’t going to be easy! But with better than a half-day’s reflection on the matter I have realized that much of what I perceive does default to negative or derogatory interpretation. I for some reason find it easier to dwell upon what an idiot George W. Bush is, and this detracts me from focusing upon what a ray of hope Barak Obama is on the political scene. If I understand the law of attraction at all correctly, then I am going to need to reprogram my default. This is going to require some powerful discipline and visioning, a task that may be made all the harder by what M. Scott Peck refers to as the spiritual entropy that must ever be resisted by intention.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:42 PM

    Just knowing that you default to the negative is a positive step. When you realize that negative emotions are popping up, you can redirect them to the positive (easier said than done). We all have negative thoughts and have spent years nurturing them and it's a habit that will take time to change.

    Good luck on your quest my friend.

    B+

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my best friend of forty-four years that gives me a B+! Now, is this not a great example of what true friendship is all about? (You do understand, however, that I am going to dispute your decision because I genuinely deserve no less than an A-?) Et tus, Ed Harris?

    ReplyDelete