Monday, April 23, 2007

G vs. G

If I understand The Secret correctly, a key element is gratitude. Thanks to the lessons I was taught as a child that were reinforced by practical experience as I matured, I can honestly say that I almost get this one. Just think of the profound changes that would appear almost immediately if the human species replaced greed with gratitude. The 180 from “I want” to “I have” would prove a miraculous cure for an endless list of diseases. The never-ending quest for more would be satiated by the contentedness that accompanies genuine thankfulness. When my gratitude for what I already have is genuine, I am supplied with an abundance that must be shared. Occasions such as yesterday’s Earth Day would become history because people who are truly grateful for what they have will take care of it. It sounds deceptively simple, but we all know how easy it is to succumb to the evil temptation of believing that we are impoverished rather than blessing ourselves by giving thanks for the wealth we already have. I daily remind myself how very fortunate I am to be married to Mary, to have Rachel and Rebecca for daughters, to have a beautiful home, clothes to wear, and more than enough to eat (just imagine how genuine gratitude could turn around our country’s epidemic of obesity). And, you know what? The more grateful I am, the happier I become.

No comments:

Post a Comment