Tuesday, April 17, 2007

How Many Times?

Yesterday, I blogged in blissful ignorance of the horrific tragedy that was unfolding in Blacksburg, Virginia. (I want my employer to take note that I apparently am not one of those who spends the entire work day on the Internet.) How easily the words concerning the grandeur of love flowed from my fingers. How painfully I have since tried to identify with all those affected. I am struck that one of evil’s strengths is its immediacy, how truth and love and peace are suddenly wrenched from us as we are inundated by acts of darkness. I do still believe that right is stronger than wrong, the light always dispels darkness, and that goodness ultimately overcomes evil; but that requires faith that is based in eternity rather than in the moment. One of the reporters covering the Virginia Tech massacre observed that until we understand what motivates the perpetrators, there will be ever more of such insanity. At first glance it may seem cruel, but I want the parents who have brought these pathological creatures into the world to be held to account. Only then may we begin to see a reversal of the “sins of the fathers” being visited upon generation after generation. Yes, parents must be held to account in loving ways, but held accountable nonetheless. May God’s healing grace bless all who are suffering.

No comments:

Post a Comment