Wednesday, May 21, 2008

And Bill and Jean Begot Mary

American boy, American girl,
Most beautiful people in the world!
--The Doors, Morrison Hotel

Both Mary and I were amazed by how quickly our love blossomed. From that first date forward we grew in our understanding of being first and foremost each other’s best friend. Over nearly four decades we’ve had ample opportunity to reflect on how and why things have evolved as they have. It is hard to calculate the profound influence of two very similar worldviews. We both grew up Methodist, which I had learned from an earlier relationship with someone reared in the Lutheran tradition can and does make a difference. Our respective family values were very much the same, and as a result our two families grew as friends along with Mary and me. I know that it is probably corny to think about such things, but I do believe that they gave the two of us the solid foundation upon which we have built our life together. I try to be open minded when people dismiss such matters as irrelevant, but as we defy the ever increasing trend toward separation and divorce I know that both of us harbor deep gratitude for the nurturing environment of family from which strength we continue to draw.

No comments:

Post a Comment