Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Has Anyone Seen My Idiot?

With whom shall I get angry today? I know! The idiots! I’m mad as hell that the idiots are taking charge of everything: media, government, religion, education, etc. I’m showing my age because, when I was young, idiocy was frowned upon. Seriously, can you imagine Dwight D. Eisenhower taking Sarah Palin as his running mate? Making an idiot of yourself was something to be avoided at all costs, but now is the hallmark of celebrity. Kanye West wrests the microphone from Taylor Swift’s hands to extol the virtues of Beyonce? And while I try, really try, to give them the respect that is due their office, what can the Republicans from Mitch McConnell to Eric Cantor to John Boehner be called but idiots? The country is still reeling from the disastrously idiotic presidency of George W. Bush. Now, much like Thumper, my mother instructed me to not say anything if I couldn’t say something nice, but what can be nicely said of idiocy? An idiot is certainly deserving of our compassion, our forgiveness, our encouragement to stop being an idiot, but not our support and allegiance. Who but an idiot would call for the collapse of the United States just to prove that Barack Obama should not be president? Who but an idiot would carry firearms in public to display their pathetic misunderstanding of the Second Amendment? Who but an idiot would drive a Hummer? Perhaps the saddest thing is this: when we let the idiots take charge, we all become idiots with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment