Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Thanks for the Children!

I can honestly say that I’ve never taken the gift of our two beautiful daughters for granted. First, as Rachel was born; and then Rebecca, I lifted my praise and thanks to God that both were born vibrant and healthy. I knew that it doesn’t always turn out that way, and it was a first moment of profound gratitude which has been magnified as they have matured into intelligent, beautiful women. No more than I can imagine what my life would have been like without Mary, neither can I fathom what happiness nor meaning there would have been without Rachel and Rebecca. I find it challenging to express my pride and joy in ways that are not trite and cliché, but I pray that One knows the tremendous gratitude I feel for the privilege of being their father.

I cannot help but think that a genuine spirit of thanksgiving must include one’s family. I agonize each day of work over the parents and children that apparently are little more than chattel in the scheme of things. It has been observed that our children are our most valuable resource, but they all too often are sublimated to material greed and selfishness. I would encourage us to include mothers, fathers and children among the things that we are truly grateful for, and in so doing this coming Thanksgiving might be transformed into the kind of celebration it is truly meant to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment