Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Thanks for the Delicious Lunch!

Ala Geritol advertisements of yore: my wife! I think I’ll keep her. Mary arises each morning earlier than she would have to in order to prepare my lunch. It’s always nutritious, delicious, and packed with loving care. I’m well aware that this goes against the grain of radical feminism, but Mary is the kind of person who does not let ideology dictate how and why she does things. Far less often than I should, I try to express my gratitude via e-mail or in person (anyone who knows Mary knows that an e-mail may hibernate in her box for weeks or months) so I’m taking this rather unconventional means to once again thank her for the wonderfully loving way she takes care of me.

We’re knocking on Thanksgiving’s door, by some accounts the most popular of American holidays. It really isn’t too early to start counting our many blessings, such gratitude being a marvelous antidote for always wanting more. I suspect that if we spent more time concentrating on what we’re thankful for there would be far less time to rail against all that’s wrong. From the moment I wake up in the morning until I slip into slumber at night, I am blessed beyond my ability to comprehend. My Thanksgiving resolution this year is to focus upon how I can share my bounty with those who have less, and just as importantly, with those who for some reason don’t appreciate what they already have. Who knows? America might just use its unique holiday to proclaim that God has richly blessed us instead of petitioning (remember Jim Morrison: you cannot petition the Lord with prayer!) for more. Did you hear that, W?

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous6:41 AM

    Thank you, for the first paragraph, and Amen! to the second :-)

    ReplyDelete