Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Thanks for the Family

Every time I tie my shoelaces I employ skills that were lovingly and patiently taught me by my mother. I was blessed to have been born into a home that had both a mother and a father and that eventually added a sister to make it complete. Mary came from the same kind of home which multiplied the number of aunts, uncles, cousins, and grandparents included in the new branch created by our marriage. Having such family ties was just taken for granted when I was a child, but as I grew older (and perhaps more mature in the process) I began to understand that it is not always this way for everyone.

I contend that our world can become a better place when life is revered and held sacred. That’s a lesson of the home and family that is taught from birth (yes, I can accept that the learning begins even before birth) on, and that a newborn derives a significant sense of her or his self-worth from the family which ideally surrounds it. We don’t have to look too hard to find the results of being born into an environment that is void of a whole family, and to realize that the entire world suffers for it. I thank God for each and every member of my family, and for having my eyes opened to the truth that each and every one of us make up the whole family of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment