Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The Day After

After Bush’s final State of the Union address last night, pundits were quick to point out that he didn’t call upon the American people to do anything about anything. About the only responsibility he has given us is to go out and spend our $600 as quickly as we can to “stimulate” the economy. No sacrifice was called for in terms of supporting our troops overseas, or as a more legitimate way to turn the economy around. No public support was called for to remedy failing education and health systems other than to, I suppose, reelect the same old greedy bastards that have gotten us into this mess in the first place.

By contrast, Barack Obama never misses an opportunity to challenge us to envision what WE can do together. This is one of his characteristics that I find most refreshing and inspirational. The proof is in the pudding, I know, and only time will tell if he’s sincere, but I sense a genuine spirit of selflessness as Obama campaigns to become the twenty-first century Moses that will demand, “Let my people go!” I agree that most of us have become the victims of corporate greed that has as its only goal the enrichment of the few at the expense of the many. I am hopeful that Obama is inciting a patriotic fervor to take back the reins of government in order to reverse that mindset. I will go so far as to proclaim Obama the American Redeemer, and as those he seeks to liberate it is incumbent on us to ensure that he is not crucified by the evil he enjoins us to battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment