Thursday, January 17, 2008

It’s Time That We Find Out

I was in junior high when John F. Kennedy was assassinated. I was a senior in high school when Martin Luther King, Jr. and Robert F. Kennedy were assassinated. Just as Pearl Harbor and September 11 are more than just history to those who lived through the experiences, so is the traumatic murder of national leaders for my generation. I’ll grant you that it doesn’t take a lot to bring Mary to tears, but it was particularly poignant as she made the association between Barak Obama in the present and those pillars of leadership from the past and realized that he is extremely vulnerable to the same fate for precisely the same reasons.

President Dwight D. Eisenhower’s warning about the military industrial complex as he left office is often quoted, but I question how well it has been comprehended. For all the investigations and reports, there never really has been a fully adequate explanation of whom and what was behind those murders during the turbulent Sixties. As I knock on the door of my golden years, I’m either becoming paranoid or cynical (probably a nice mixture of both) in my belief that the very nameless, faceless entity to which Eisenhower referred is more dramatically involved with all the evil in our world than we are prepared to admit and still maintain our sanity.

Mr. Obama, I fear that you are in danger. Your integrity, your hopefulness, your faith in Everyman is placing you in the sights of those who will not tolerate such. As an American, and as one of your supporters, I am duty-bound to learn the truth behind the assassinations of those in whose footsteps you are following. Whether they are called the military industrial complex, neoconservatives, right-wingers, or evil incarnate, there are those who are held accountable by nothing but their own greed, and it is time that we bring them out into the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment