Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Super Bowl XLII: Cancelled?

I heard someone say that the Super Bowl is this weekend, and you know what? They’re right! Silly me; I’ve been focused on what’s going on in the world and the fact that the high holy day of football is next Sunday completely slipped by me. Now that my Broncos are chronically mediocre, I just haven’t been interested enough in the sport to keep up.

Yesterday I added my measly voice to the chorus of pundits who felt that Bush’s State of the Union address was anything but inspiring. Some of his fans (are there still any?) are probably asking what kind of sacrifice on the part of the American people he could have proposed. And in the spirit of fairness, here’s my answer:

Let’s cancel all professional sports until the United States no longer imperialistically occupies Iraq. Unless someone can make a valid argument that the Super Bowl falls into the necessities category along with food, water, and shelter, we can live without it. Perhaps if we had to spend this coming Sunday thinking of a way to get out of Iraq in order to get our football back, we would give some serious thought to how to get it done. And voila! $720 million per day would truly stimulate our economy, the senseless loss of our best and brightest would cease, and we could look forward with great anticipation to Super Bowl XLII in 2009 as our well-deserved reward.

No comments:

Post a Comment