Monday, October 13, 2008

Until We Admit

We enjoyed a wonderful weekend with Rebecca and Kevin in Flagstaff. One of my parental behaviors has been trying to imagine what the world must look like through my children’s eyes. Rebecca gave me a brief glimpse when she declared the economy off limits for discussion while we were there. The more I thought about it, the more I could understand her feelings. We the People have been betrayed by our government with its bailout of contemptibly corrupt businesses. As if $700 billion wasn’t bad enough, the truth about the addition $1.5 billion worth of “sweeteners” to sway previously nay votes borders on the despicable. Now that we’ve let selfish greed define the American character there’s not a whole lot to stand up and wave the flag for anymore. From Main Street to Wall Street to Capitol Hill we are awash in debt with no one but ourselves to blame. I want to believe that November 4 is going to change everything, but that doesn’t really account for what we’ve done to ourselves and what we’re willing to do to put things right.

No comments:

Post a Comment