Wednesday, October 08, 2008

We Need A New American “Holiday”

Contrite is another word that I don’t hear much. Synonymous with penitent, it defines a feeling of sorrow or regret for one’s sins. I don’t hear anyone admitting that they’ve done anything wrong. I find that most disturbing in the context of the present financial crisis. Ironically claiming credit for more years of experience, John McCain just doesn’t seem to get that this means he’s been part of the problem for the past quarter century, not part of the solution. It’s been said that the two most difficult words in the English language are, “I’m sorry.” (The three most difficult being, “I don’t know.”) Yom Kippur begins at sundown this evening, and I think that, as Americans, we are missing a significant opportunity by not declaring tomorrow a national day of atonement. When AIG executives go on a half-million-dollar junket following their bailout by U.S. taxpayers it speaks volumes about the kind of selfish greed that has put all of us in this predicament. Yes, not only would I like to see those executives have to repay the money and be terminated, true revival of the American spirit is not likely to occur until they would confess their sins and apologize to us who have been wronged. Are you listening, W?

No comments:

Post a Comment