Tuesday, July 29, 2008

End of an Era?

Perhaps the most memorable rite of passage was getting my driver license when I turned 16. From that point forward I have driven cars, trucks, buses, tractors, and patrol cars. Since 1965 I have literally driven coast to coast and have enjoyed (almost) every minute of it. I’m sure that the trip upon which we are about to embark will probably not be our last by automobile, but all the signs are pointing toward a future of alternatives. The highway system that is being undermined by loss of gasoline taxes due to a dramatic decrease in driving due to higher fuel prices was one of the earliest criticisms aimed at hybrids (I think I remember the State of Washington actually imposing a registration surcharge on hybrids because of the substantially lowered gas consumption). I have to admit to showing off a little by detailing in future posts how economically Mary and I are going to cover several thousand miles. My computer skills are again lacking with regard to being able to embed the South Park episode Smug Alert, but those brave enough can get to it by linking to

http://www.southparkstudios.com/guide/1002/

The days of fossil-fueled automobiles may be numbered, but I hope I live long enough to experience the inevitable alternatives…beam me up, Scotty!

Obama 08

No comments:

Post a Comment