Wednesday, July 02, 2008

With Liberty and Justice For All

The earliest memory I have of the Fourth of July is driving down to historic Fort Vasquez with Mom and Dad to set off some very humble fireworks. We were living in Platteville, Colorado where Dad served the Methodist Church (when you go to the link there’s a nice picture of that church; second row far right). It’s probably just as well that I didn’t judge the holiday by just that one because I seem to remember several duds, but I was also introduced to the ever-trustworthy sparkler. Many thoughts go through my mind as I prepare for my fifty-ninth observance of Independence Day, but prominent among them this year is a deep and genuine gratitude to be a citizen of these United States of America. This may seem hypocritical to some who are familiar with my criticism of the state of the union, but I am keenly aware of how indebted I am to this country for the freedom to criticize. I’m still waiting for my commission check from TIME for all my referrals, but as I do (I’m beginning to think that it’s going to be a very long wait) I have yet another that I regard as a must read for this holiday weekend:
The State of Patriotism by Peter Beinart

No comments:

Post a Comment